COVE POINT MARSH RESTORATION
In 2007 there was a breach in the dune that separated Cove Point Marsh from the Chesapeake Bay, allowing salt water to flood the marsh and converting much of it to open water.
In 2010 and 2011 Dominion Power repaired the breach, and created hard and soft erosion protection structures in front of the new dune.
The Harris Lab has been monitoring the site since 2010 tracking:
- Changes in Salinity and Water Quality of the Freshwater Pond
- Dune Slope and Beach Width
- Analysis of Aerial Imagery
- Vegetation Community Structure
- Platform Elevation
- Establishment of plantings
- Invasive Species